Livestock & Aquaculture Farming-Fish Farming: Fish is the predominantly eaten meat across the world for its enormous protein values. As a result the demand for fish farming has increased and it became more beneficial to many people. Especially in India, where more than 50% of the people use fish as their primary food item. Fish farming is one of the forms of aquaculture where seas are the main source for its farming. But in recent times the tradition has decreased drastically and the practice of raising fish in ponds and lakes has increased. Production wise, China holds top place with more than 60% in the worlds table.
- Fish farming is considered as very sensitive and an expensive method of raising fish.
- If proper care is not taken you have to face lot of troubles even to get your investment back keeping the profits aside.
- But if you could able to do that, you cannot imagine the profits it gives to you.
- At first you have to select the area, mostly coastal regions and river banks would be appropriate as there will be more natural resources.
- It is better to avoid the regions with floods, heavy pollution and crop fields as they leads to drastic loss.
- After that, you have to decide where you will raise the fish i.e., lake, tank or cage. Usually small scale farmers use cage and tank systems.
- To raise the fish in large numbers and to get more profits, one should adopt lakes or ponds.
- Finally the area should be nearer to your city or town to make the transportation very easy and profitable.
Select the variety
- There are number of species available in the market, the end profits will depend on the variety of fish you choose.
- The price and demand varies according to peoples interest in that particular area. Hence you should know your market conditions to select the variety that gives more profits.
- To get healthy and more profitable fish a farmer should concentrate more on feeding the fish.
- Get the nutritious food that is rich in vitamins, minerals and salt. You can prepare the food by yourself if you go in touch with experts, or else you can purchase it from the market.
- The quantity of the food and the repetition times depends on the variety of the breed you chose.
- In addition to providing nutritious food, it is advised to change the water of the pond regularly or you can add the chemicals on the basis of expert advice.
- Apart from monitoring the health of the fish, always check the quality of the water and soil frequently.
- Finally take necessary precautions to avoid the passage of any predators through the pond.
- The harvesting time depends on the type of variety you have adopted.
- You can use a net to catch up the fish or else you can remove the water completely from the pond or tank.
- Finally market the fish as soon as possible after you harvest them.